Spring Into Action

The Spring season symbolizes fresh starts. It is the perfect time to try out new and exciting workout ideas that will help you get in shape and feel great. You can also enjoy your indoor workouts outside too. With spring comes warmer weather, longer days and lots of sunshine. Wake up and smell the roses, hear the birds chirping and enjoy the benefits of getting outside. If you have been looking for fun ways to spruce up your workout routine, here are some simple suggestions to help you get started:

  1. Design an exercise plan that works for you.
  2. Find a workout you love.
  3. Stay motivated.
  4. Mix it up, variety is the spice of life.
  5. Give yourself time to rest and recover from your workouts.
  6. Stop pressuring yourself, do positive self-talk.
  7. Be consistent and dedicated – start a workout routine.
  8. Dress the part – wear comfortable athletic clothes and good, supportive shoes, preferably sneakers.
  9. Eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids.

Although humans are creatures of habit and comfort, frequently changing your workout program can help you avoid burnout or boredom. Mix up your workouts by doing a variety of different activities to improve your fitness level, get you in better shape, and utilize different muscle groups. Plan well-balanced activities that work the body from head to toe.

 Here are some activities and exercises to put a spring in your step:

  1. Dance workouts
  2. Golf
  3. Hiking
  4. Brisk walking
  5. Biking
  6. Swimming
  7. Yoga
  8. Playing with your grandkids
  9. Low impact sports
  10. Pickle Ball
  11. Calisthenics, stretches, and/or strength exercises

Spring Into a Heart-Healthy Diet

Another component of living a healthy lifestyle is eating well. Remember the old saying, “You are what you eat.” The 80/20 rule is a smart guide for your everyday diet. If you aim for 80 percent of what you eat being healthy, then the other 20 percent can be treats or snacks. Included in the 80 percent would be fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish along with unsaturated fats. “Your food is your body’s fuel.” You also want to make sure you are drinking plenty of water and other hydrating liquids. Drinking healthy fluids is important, especially if you exercise a lot. Keep in mind that your body is over sixty percent water. I always suggest to my students to drink water before, during and after any exercise routine.

Let’s get this Spring off to a healthy and happy start!

This article originally appeared in the Ventura Breeze.

Similar Posts