The holidays are coming! Sometimes that can feel overwhelming as we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season. As we gather with loved ones, take time for reflection and enjoy foods that connect us to the season or with our culture, we can feel joy and wellbeing. This is often a time for mental or emotional breaks from the routines of daily life. However, it’s important to note that the holidays do not always bring happiness and can actually promote additional stress, anxiety or depression. That’s why it’s important to take time for yourself, exercise, and eat healthy foods that energize you and keep your immune system strong. It can also be really helpful to adjust your expectations and workouts to help you get through this busy time!
Since maintaining a fitness routine can be difficult during the holidays, here are six motivational and inspirational tips to help get you through:
- Figure out what inspires you.
- Adjust your expectations.
- Workout with others.
- Switch up your routine.
- Exercise early in the day if you can.
- Give yourself rewards and presents.
During the holidays, the pressure to skip exercising increases dramatically. There is so much to do between work, family responsibilities, chores, shopping, decorating, company parties, etc.
This is when you have to stay organized and utilize your time wisely. You’re basically bartering with yourself. Don’t be afraid to compromise a little. It’s fine to skip a gym session if it falls on the same day as your office party.
While you’re busy bringing good cheer to others, don’t forget to treat yourself. This is especially true if you’re able to stick to an exercise routine. Even a slightly reduced workout schedule will do a lot to mitigate seasonal health impacts. Keep your workouts fun during the holiday time, and remember that a little bit each day goes a long way! Incorporating family time is so important and fun during the holidays, so why not make some of that time active? Suggest to your family and friends that you go on walks, hikes, or play interactive games and activities. These are great ways to bond with family and friends and get in shape at the same time.
Some Perks to Remember:
- Regular workouts allow you the freedom to indulge occasionally without compromising your health and fitness objectives.
- In the midst of the holiday hustle, exercise emerges as a natural stress reliever, releasing endorphins that not only uplift your mood but also help maintain a calm and focused demeanor.
- Incorporating exercise into your holiday schedule ensures that you remain active even during the busiest times of the season. It’s far easier to maintain your exercise routine than to take time off and assume you’ll jump back on the exercise bandwagon after the New Year.
- One of the best ways to manage holiday stress and fatigue is to. . . you guessed it, exercise! Plus, your energy levels will be higher, providing you with more energy to party, socialize and celebrate the festivities!
Holiday Fitness Goals
- Stay in Jolly good health.
- Beat the Holiday stress.
- Stay active amidst festivities.
- Give yourself the gift of me time.
- Enjoy festive treats guilt-free.
- Have more energy over the holidays.
- Say goodbye to holiday blues.
- Create a healthy family tradition.
‘Tis the Season to have fun while being active with everyone! Happy Holidays!