It’s a New Year and a new beginning to a year filled with hope, happiness and great health. For some, this means eating nutritious meals and starting an exercise routine. However, more often than not, the resolutions we make are highly restrictive and unsustainable, leading most of us to fall back into our old ways within a few weeks. This is why many people make the same resolutions year after year.
Let’s make 2024 different and start off on the right foot by focusing on our goals one step at a time. No matter what age you are, whether you’ve been active or not, it’s time to get moving and jump start your fitness routine. Committing to becoming more physically fit takes discipline but is well worth it in the long run!
24 Healthy and Fit Tips
- Design and organize a well-rounded fitness program suited to your needs and abilities.
- Move, move, move! Staying active and moving around burns calories, strengthens muscles, tones your body, improves your immune system and boosts energy.
- Be thoughtful and careful in setting your fitness goals.
- Create a balanced routine, from head to toe.
- Start slow and pace yourself according to your capabilities and level of fitness.
- Build physical activities into your daily schedule.
- Be consistent and keep to a schedule.
- Get plenty of sleep and make time for recovery and relaxation.
- Meditate and be mindful. Try and focus on positive thoughts.
- Plan a variety of exercises and different activities to include in your workouts.
- Be sure to include all of the three components of fitness into your routines: stretching, strengthening, and aerobic exercise.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Try to include all of the important food groups and nutrients.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
- Have an attitude of gratitude. Always be thankful and appreciate the small things in your life.
- Choose an activity that you enjoy. The best exercise is the one that you will do the most.
- Commit to being more physically fit. Take pride in yourself.
- Take more “me time” and practice self-care.
- Spend more time outdoors exercising. Take a moment to take a deep breath of fresh air and appreciate the beauty of nature around you.
- Spend time with positive people.
- Be more present. Live day to day, in the moment.
- Try a new hobby, or join a group activity and socialize.
- Stop negative body talk and improve your confidence.
- Schedule regular health checkups with your healthcare provider.
- Be sure to have a support team, such as a friend or family member, to support you and encourage you to be your best.
There is so much for all of us to be excited about this New Year. Let’s be active, have fun and celebrate our life! Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!
This article originally appeared in the Ventura Breeze.